Saturday 6 March 2021

Random Classic Hollywood Actor/Actress Trivia

I've been watching a lot of random Youtube videos about different actors/actresses and I thought it would be fun to share a few of the random bits of trivia I found. There's so much information out there, it's both fun and a little daunting. Anyways, without further ado.



Sorry, I couldn't not finish the exchange

Ray Milland (top GIF)

Ray Milland, like any actor or actress, had to work hard to get good roles, but eventually after he started getting them he began to suspect that he was getting roles just because of his looks. He decided to go take lessons and get better at it. 

He had some sort of woodworking saw in his backyard. One time his hand slipped and he got his left hand/thumb pretty bad I guess. (Later on the set of another film he would injure his left hand again. He just didn't have much luck with his hand.) Because WW1 or WW2 was going on he tried enlisting but because of his hand they wouldn't let him. Despite that though he found other ways to help. 
At a different point, he was touring at these different theatres and a soldier there was heckling him asking why he wasn't in the army and his response was 'With a war on? Are you crazy?' 

He ended up (I think) helping with the audition reading for a movie called 'The Jungle Princess' and the lady that they ended up casting as the leading lady requested that be her co-star instead of the guy that was supposed to do it. The studio was hesitant but they ended up going along with her request which surprised me. The movie ended up doing really well apparently so the studio really couldn't complain.

He was asked to do the movie 'The Lost Weekend' but he was really hesitant because he wasn't sure he could portray alcoholism properly and he knew that his acting had to be good. He really wanted to fully understand what he was doing and I guess he decided to spend the night in a psychiatric ward but he only made it a few hours. The effort he put into the role paid off though, the director/cast thought that the movie wasn't going to do very well (based on the reaction they had been receiving) but Ray Milland ended up getting an Oscar for the role. It was also one of the first Hollywood movies to portray alcoholism as a serious thing and not just played for laughs. Although some temperance groups misunderstood the movie and thought that they were glorifying it. I've seen the movie and I'm not sure how they could have got that part so wrong, but misunderstandings like that happen all the time so I guess it makes sense. 



Ingrid Bergman

Ingrid Bergman was a famous actress particularly in the 40s. Eventually, after about 10 years of working in the American Film Industry bubble she became bored with it and worked with an Italian director in neo-realistic films. She ended up having an affair with her co-star (they were both married to different people and had their own children). She had a very 'perfect' persona that had been carefully crafted by different people, which is sort of how show business works I guess, but when she had the affair (which resulted with a baby) it made a lot of people mad. Suddenly she wasn't this perfect person and a lot of people turned on her. Someone actually wrote (and I'm completely paraphrasing, this isn't the exact quote) that she had done more harm for the concept of the family unit than Stalin or Lenin could have done preaching for 10 years. Her movies were banned at different times and it was all very over-blown. Can you imagine people thinking you are worse than Stalin?

She, eventually, after working on different projects that interested her came back for a few American movies years later for roles she wanted to do. She thought the whole thing was kind of ridiculous and stated very clearly that she didn't regret any of it. She was 'forgiven' over time as the press started to back-peddle on some of the things they had said saying that 'people shouldn't judge other people' which sounds disingenuous considering everything but whatever.  




Cary Grant

His mother was put into a mental institution when he was 10 (9? possibly 11? different sources say different things) and she remained there for 21 years. Apparently he didn't know that and had been told that she'd just left. He didn't find out she was still alive and in the institution until he was 30 years old. She'd been suffering 'mania'. 

I was watching a documentary and there was this lady that was saying she had written something and she needed a very, very handsome man to carry the plot. The people that told her about him said that he wouldn't work because he had a cockney accent, had a weird walk, etc and she said that didn't make a difference to her. She said that he was the only good-looking man who'd come in the last week and she says that she just fell madly in love with him. Honestly writing goals.

He was rejected his first Paramount screen test because he 'had bow-legs and a thick neck'.



Thelma Todd

Getting good jobs as an actor/actress is really hard but women especially seemed to have a dangerous time of it. Not always, but the things that happened behind closed doors sometimes is horrifying. There were (and sadly still are) a lot of monsters and sickos in Hollywood. Anyways Thelma Todd refused to go to a 'party' where there was going to be a lot of drunk guys (and there were other actresses that would be told to go as well) and they told her that if she didn't they would fire her. Despite having a mother that was reliant on support from her daughter and trying to survive through life in general, Thelma Todd walked out on them and made a name for herself despite them. And good for her.

Hope this was interesting!




13 comments:

  1. I looked Ray Milland up and was surprised to see he was in The Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series. Loved that series so cool that he was in it.
    Hollywood is so strange and so many interesting and scandalous things.
    I feel bad for Ingrid let people make mistakes.
    Thelma Todd sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh right! I was going to tell you about that and then I totally forgot.
      Right!
      Same, the backlash she got was intense.
      She does! I mean there's some things that she did that are not great but then that goes for anyone.

      Delete
    2. No worries it was cool to find though. Is he the one that was in that one movie you showed me?
      Looks like it.
      Ah, makes sense I guess.

      Delete
    3. If I'm thinking of the same time you are, I think so. I'm pretty sure I'd just discovered him at the time so I might have shown you two movies with him in it. (Reap The Wild Wind, and Doctor Takes a Wife, if I'm remembering right.) He was the reason (combined with Audrey Hepburn) that I went down one of my first old movie rabbit holes and had found Arsenic and Old Lace shortly after that.

      Delete
  2. It kind of feels like the old time actors and actresses had crazier lives, but I don't know if this is in contrast to the films and general morals of the time and our being used to it in modern Hollywood or if their lives were actually that crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I don't know either, I think part of the reason I'll be so shocked when I hear about some of the things that people got up to because people will talk about the supposed 'good old days'. But 'the good old days' that are often described are full of so much chaos it's kinda insane.

      Delete
    2. Also thanks again for your older movie recommendations. I've been watching some of them and been having a lot of fun with it. Especially Monkey Business.

      Delete
    3. Monkey Business is hilarious! My favorite part was when Cary Grant because he doesn't have his glasses falls down the laundry shoot.

      Delete
    4. It is! Wait, is Cary Grant in the movie? There's so many good parts in it it's hard to choose just one. One of my favourite bits that made me laugh was when the one lady's husband says 'I think we'll get along really well, what do you think' and then the other guy says 'Well obviously the first year is going to be full of squabbles but after that it's inevitable'.

      Delete
  3. I love random trivia facts.
    Aw, I feel so bad for Ingrid Bergman. And the worst part is that Hollywood still does this. Even great people make mistakes sometimes. Nobody's perfect, and that includes celebrities (ok I'm done ranting now).
    And, yes, yes, good for Thelma Todd. She sounds like an absolute queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It's sucks that it still happens. Agreed. No I love rants!
      Right! I was so proud of her when I heard that. She did do some things to be fair, but despite that, I did find her to be very inspiring with the brief research I did on her.

      Delete
  4. Learning random facts about old movies is THE BEST! I have never heard of Ray Millard or Thelma Todd. What kind of a classic movie fan am I? Lol! Cary Grant is so inspiring to me because through everything he went through early on he became so famous through how funny he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I saw Ray Milland in 'Reap The Wild Wind' for the first time and he played opposite to John Wayne who played a corrupt character so it kind of blew my mind at the time. Considering the few older movies I'd seen up until then it was the first one in a long time that caught my attention. Not that the movie doesn't have it's problematic elements at times. That's how I found out about him anyways.
      Thelma Todd's story is really interesting. I only found out that she existed because of a True Crime Buzzfeed Unsolved episode. If you've seen Monkey Business with the Marx Brothers, she's in that.
      There's so many people it's hard to know them all.
      I didn't know anything about Cary Grant before doing this post so I honestly didn't realize until now how much it all must have impacted him.

      Delete