Monday 29 March 2021

Hot Fuzz: Addressing A Travesty, And Recommending It As A Spring Movie


To begin, this is the synopsis for 'Hot Fuzz' an action comedy. (It is R-rated for violence and language. From a completely biased standpoint it's what I would call zombie violence, if that's helpful at all. The violence is obviously there, but it has a certain cheese factor. But it depends on the person. Side-note, I forgot everyone's character names so I'm using their real names.)

Hotshot police officer Nicholas Angel smells foul play when the residents of a sleepy Somerset village start to die in terrible `accidents'. Something's afoot, but can he and daft local plod Danny Butterman find out what?

With the synopsis out of the way, I will say that this movie is very British, particularly with it's humour, and if you like Shaun of the Dead you'll most likely like this movie. Honestly going into the movie, the only thing I knew was that I'd seen a cover photo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost dressed as cops while chasing a swan. I have watched things for less. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's bromance is iconic and one for the ages. If they're in a movie together, most likely it's going to be hilarious. Also there's a big shoot-out scene and there's a lot of flower pots, hanging baskets, and just flowers in general so that's why I'm classifying it as a Spring movie.


That's the end of my spoil-free recommendation section. 

Onto my very well-informed, well-written, critical essay addressing the travesty that occurred because it didn't actually happen. There will be spoilers. 

In the movie, we get to to the point where Simon Pegg has found out who all the killers in this town are and he decides to tell the city police what's going on and get them to come help him. He leaves Nick Frost behind because Nick found out one of the killers is his dad so he's conflicted and decides to stay behind. Anyways, Simon Pegg ends up coming back to the town police station's evidence room, which was full of guns after he'd seized a heck ton of guns (and a sea-mine for some reason?) from a secret room somewhere. He grabs a bunch of guns, sticks a toothpick in his mouth, puts on sunglasses and rides a white horse into town on the main road. 

It's hard to tell with this GIF but there are flowers everywhere

Nick Frost is sitting in the cop car along the main road and sees Simon Pegg and expresses the appropriate amount of stunned awe. Simon Pegg is then spotted by the murderers who all want him dead which causes the first big shoot-out. Now we're getting to the travesty. Simon Pegg gets off the horse and it runs away. We had ample opportunity for Nick Frost to sit with Simon Pegg on the horse and either shoot at the killers, or even run away from them. Had it only been for a second. But it never happened. Simon Pegg won Nick Frost a stuffed monkey at the fair, he bought him a Japanese Peace Lilly which immediately had to be put into evidence after one of the murders happened, they had the grown man equalivent of this


The context of this is, Simon Pegg is talking about not knowing how 
to shut off his 'detective' brain and then Nick Frost tells him the he can show him 
how and proceeds to get two cop movies for them to watch. But the phrasing of everything 
was very intentional and hilarious.

They gave us all that, and yet, they couldn't give me, I mean us, Nick Frost sitting with Simon Pegg on a white horse while strapped with guns. Where is the outcry, the fanart? I need the fanart. If I could draw fanart I would, but currently I lack the skill. A travesty occurred and other people must know about it. 

If you're like me and can barely read this it says,
'It was the single most painful experience of my life'

Soon after Simon Pegg shows up on the horse, one of the killers rides her bike towards Simon Pegg as she holds her weapon of choice ready to kill him. Nick Frost opens his door on her and she flips over his door and lands on the ground. Nick ends up helping Simon and eventually there's a shoot-out with the help of some of the not-psycho-killer-cops in the grocery store. Then after that happens they have a car chase and they run into the door of the car that was left open. That's funny because it's a call-back that shows attention to detail. Where was that after the horse ran away? If a car door can get call-back, a horse deserves it even more. 
If the problem was time constraints, they could have taken out one of the times that a drunk guy pees on something. Why the British seem to think drunk guys peeing on things 5 times in a row is funny really doesn't make sense. Particularly when it uses up the time of a moment of comedic, and iconic, gold.
Let Nick Frost and Simon Pegg ride off on a white horse together.

The is the closest I get

That being said, I enjoyed the movie. 
It's the first movie I've found that I consider to be a Spring movie in a long time.

There's no reason for this to be here except that it made me laugh


I hope this made sense for the most part. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

7 comments:

  1. As someone who already loves the dynamic these two have. I think I'll love this! At least we got on of them on a horse XD
    Didn't peg it as a spring film, so that's a fun surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably will. I'm excited to hear your reaction when you do eventually see it. True XD
      Neither did I going into the movie but once I saw all the flowers in the hanging baskets it just seemed perfect

      Delete
  2. Okay, I am now intrigued. It looks like a good movie, and I love British humour, so I'll have to add it to my to-be-watched list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It is R-rated, there was a brief part where I thought it was going to be demonic but it wasn't. I did really enjoy the movie though so if you love British humour and don't mind some violence it's really good.

      Delete
  3. Also, there really aren't enough spring movies, so I may have to watch it just for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really isn't. It's actually been surprising me lately. If you do end up watching it I'm really curious what your thoughts are! It's a very campy movie (at least that's what it was for me) so I had a really good time.

      Delete
    2. Oh! It's on Netflix at the moment. At least it is for me in Canada, not sure about the States. Are you in the States? I actually have no idea. Either way, hopefully that's helpful.

      Delete