Thursday 15 April 2021

Relationship Tropes That I think We Should Stop Doing

Disclaimer: This is an unapologetic, word-vomit, rant-list about some relationship tropes that I personally hate. Ships are all a matter of personal preference but for now, hang the preferences, I'm bitter. That being said, I don't mean any offense to anyone.

1.

Fae guys who claim they're too dangerous, or the people around them are too dangerous, not because they're literal fae but because they're essentially sexual predators surrounded by even worse sexual predators. This sexual predator has to protect you because the other predators will just do it with everybody. This predator only wants to do it with you so it's fine. Just stop. Why is this a thing? Just shoot them. Shoot them all where it hurts. They deserve it. 

Why does being fae essentially just equate to being a predator? Yes, there is usually an initial power imbalance between humans and the fae, but that is because they are these magical beings who like to twist words and have these abilities that humans want but don't have. Not because you hold power over them now because they want to sleep with you. Some fae maybe, but why in books does it seem to be all the fae do? 

And I hate the 'this is my mate' thing with a passion. Can we not.

2.

Fae guys (or regular guys) that claim that they're just using a person (typically in a dating sense) and that they don't like the person they're pretending with. They think they're these untouchable beings when really they fall for any girl that talks to them for 5 minutes. Then when the guy tries to pull a 'Hans from Frozen' it's seen as tragic because 'oh no, the guy I'm obsessed with just left me.' But it's not really a big deal because they always come back saying things like 'I've tried to forget you and I can't'. 

3.

This is a less relationship based one but I've seen it used in the build-up to relationships and I'm annoyed. Fae that don't understand sarcasm. They're dangerous beings who are usually incredibly old, who twist words, and are able to trick people all the time. It's also confusing when fae characters are being sarcastic and then later they're like 'I don't understand sarcasm. I need you to explain it to me.'

 If anything, they probably understand more about being a wordsmith than you think they are. Honestly characters needing to have things (that they clearly know) explained to them is annoying. Or girls in books being like 'Why won't you let me go in the place with all the drunk people? You're just trying to control me!' 

4.

Relationships that feel like the end goal is to sleep together and then it being written or shown as being 'True Love'

5.

Characters that sleep together once and that is the basis of they're 'undying love' for each other. I give that relationship maybe a year. 

6.

Relationships that start off cute, but when the characters do end up together it's suddenly decided that they don't have to have fun, cute, innocent moments together because they're together now and we don't have to work for it. Because sleeping together is the only way we can keep the bond. If that goes out the window, maybe we were never meant to be together. Like guys, it was never about love then.

7.

Fae guys who's defining fae personality traits is that they are ripped, pretty, they're eyes look like jewels, and they have wings, are flat characters. I really hate wings on characters, it's a personal thing but still. I'm all for having pretty guys, but being pretty shouldn't be their super power. Unless they have the charisma to pull it off, I don't want to hear about it.

8.

Love Triangles where it's between the toxic bad boy, and the bland vanilla white bread of a 'good guy' who is really really boring. Or the 'good guy' is actually equally toxic but it gets ignored because he's the 'nice guy.' 


9.

Love Triangles where it feels like the main character has to end up with one of the options. It makes the characters all just feel like bags of meat. Love triangles can work great if they're done well, but only if they're done well. Deconstructed love triangles are usually the best ones. Love triangles aren't tragic because 'look at how many good options this person has, how are they supposed to choose?' Usually love triangles happen because people are incredibly flawed and they get themselves into tough situations. We should explore the flaws more and be less distracted with how shiny the options are.

Typical love triangles just come across as this when they're not done well.


10.

'Nice Guys' who will only be your friend, do things for you, be nice to you if there is the chance that they will end up with you. If they don't they leave because apparently they were only your friends so they can get in your pants. There are actual 'nice guy' characters who genuinely care about you whether you like them romantically or not back, but most of the time 'nice guys' aren't who they think they are.

11.

Relationships where there is no chemistry. Or relationships where it's just like the Avril Lavine lyric 'He was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious.' Just because two characters talk to each other doesn't mean it's romantic.

12.

Guys who only realize that they like a girl when another guy shows interest in her. Because apparently Mr. Darcy's comment of 'Why should I give consequence to women slighted by other men?' thing still applies. Despite the fact that at least Mr. Darcy realized his toxic traits and worked on them.


To be fair, some of these tropes are commonly used in books (or media in general) that are meant for specific age targeted demographics that I'm too old for. Although these tropes keep getting used in all sorts of places. With all that being said, keep in mind I have my own slew of ships that have problematic elements so take the things I say with a grain of salt.

Anyways, those are some of the tropes that I'm frustrated with. What are your thoughts? What are some relationship tropes that frustrate you? 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad other people are frustrated by it too.

      Delete
  2. Give them hell! Hate all of these. Except the wing thing, I may have changed my stance. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! XD Really, What changed it?

      Delete
    2. I think it was a photo of some k-pop guy. So still hate it in some things, but done well. I like it. XD

      Delete
    3. Makes sense. Done well, it could be cool I guess. Up until now I've really mostly seen it used in the usual tropes that come off very cringey.

      Delete
  3. Ughhhhhhh. I haven't actually seen most of these (I don't read a lot of romance...) but the ones I have seen IRRITATE ME SO MUCH (esp. #3, 6, 8, and 10.) And the other ones sound super irritating, too.

    The only exception being, I don't really mind #12 in general...mainly because boys are actually *that clueless* a lot of the time. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I really haven't read that much either but it has popped up into some of the ones that I've read so that's what I'm basing mine on. I may be complaining too much considering I haven't read that much, I just know that they are pretty common tropes.
      Right! Those tropes are so annoying.

      That's true. I'm not going to lie I had a particular character in mind when I wrote that one.

      Delete
  4. I agree with pretty much all of this (though I'm sure I've been guilty of using several of these in writing). #6, in particular, really annoys me. I ship couples because they're cute. GIVE THEM CUTE MOMENTS PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too to be honest. Exactly! Cute moments are the best.

      Delete
  5. YES!!! A huge yes to all of this! Especially 4, 5, 6, and 8 (that GIF fits perfectly. XD). That is not the end goal so can we please burn everything that says it is?? Thank you for writing this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!
      Agreed, I'm always available for burning things down XD
      So glad you liked it!! I was feeling full of rage and needed to vent some frustrations so I'm glad it meant so much to other people too!

      Delete