Thursday 18 March 2021

The Fandom Tag



Skye tagged me for this and I've been excited to do it. Although trying to narrow down answers for some of these was ridiculously hard. I either blanked on everything ever made, or thought of way too many answers. If this had a Howl's Moving Castle title, it would probably be 'In Which I Say Too Much About Myself'. Apparently I struggle with short and snappy.


The Questions

What’s the first fandom you remember becoming a part of?

Aside from pretty much everything I liked from my childhood. There's a lot...
Sherlock Holmes, Edward Scissorhands, and Lilo and Stitch (the first and second movie) 

I was an obsessive (and basic) child. It's weird rewatching some things that I haven't seen since I was little and realizing just how much I hyper-focused on details that are still so distinct in my head. But like weirdly specific details like the leaves on Lilo's dance costume. There was a specific version of Winnie the Pooh that I watched when I was little and I was really obsessed with the tomatoes in it. Don't ask me why, they just looked really good to kid me. 

I don't remember which version this is but this was the one I saw

Sherlock Holmes was the first book character I remember crying over and Stitch was the first movie character I remember crying over. Hence why I chose them for this question. 

Phantom of the Opera (25th Anniversary Royal Albert Hall 2011) was the thing that made me realize fandoms existed though.

What’s the newest fandom you’ve come to enjoy?

I'm not really involved in any fandoms exactly. I consider myself part of the fandom for things that I like but it's more that I just like a thing rather than actually being a contributing member of something. I'm very grateful to all the people that do make GIFs and general things because I don't know how to do it.

Currently (as far as T.V. shows go. And this is narrowed down) 
I've been watching Daredevil when I get the opportunity 
&
I Love Lucy 
It's quite the combo I know. 

I finished the O.C. recently.

I've watched I Love Lucy/The Lucy Show before, but I re-got some of the seasons from the library recently. The first time my mom got it from the library we were only allowed to watch the episodes while mom was making the quilt she'd been working on at the time and I swear that every time we get it from somewhere it coincides with somebody starting a sewing project. It's never intentional, it just sort of happens. Although I think I'm the only one in my family that seems to have noticed this pattern; everyone always seems surprised when I mention it.

What’s a fandom guaranteed to give you feels?

Doctor Who 


It's funny because it's not.

What’s a guilty pleasure fandom of yours?

I'm blanking on anything that really counts as a guilty pleasure. I like the City of Bones movie with Lilly Collins but it's not really a guilty pleasure.
Vampire Diaries maybe? the show is trash but I am a goblin troll and I pick out the parts that I like from it. Which might be saying too much considering I stopped somewhere in season 4 and then had forgotten it for awhile.

What’s the weirdest fandom you’ve heard of/are a part of?

I don't think this is the kind of answer that I'm supposed to give, but it is the answer I want to give.

Lorde's (formerly-deleted) secret onion ring Instagram account where she kept track of what her favourite onion rings were. I've never actually seen her account and I don't think there is a fandom for this but I don't care. I will be the fandom. 
Lorde had made a secret Instagram account dedicated to onion rings (purely for herself) but then people found out about it and she deleted it. Apparently it's coming back, is back, or I just heard a rumour. Either way, the fact that it existed at all is beautiful.


As far as weird fandoms go, possibly Merlin. You'll think the fandom is dead and then it will rise up like Mushu at the oddest times.


Top 2 photos say
'Everyone escapes from our dungeons,
have you ever noticed how everyone-?'

Favorite popular/widely-known fandom?

There's a lot. Pirates of the Caribbean.
 Stranger Things is pretty popular/widely-known. 

Favorite bookish fandom?

As far as actual fandom I've seen for books I've read, possibly The Raven Cycle, Howl's Moving Castle, and Lockwood and Co.

What do you consider your ‘homebase’, a fandom you can always come back to?

Sherlock Holmes again honestly. 


There's so many versions you can never really be bored. Be that books, movies, or t.v. shows

What’s a fandom you know all about…but aren’t actually into it?

I don't know if all the weird info I know is accurate, but I know a lot of random information about Twilight for someone that's never seen/read it (with the exception of the first 30 minutes of the first movie). Granted it's mostly the basic information. Honestly Twilight is hilarious if you don't take it seriously from the little I've seen.



Which fandom has the best characters?

Now there's a loaded question designed to start fandom wars. 
I feel disinclined to acquiesce this request and so I've elected to ignore it.
Do not read into that response, it's not my answer. 



Name your all-time favorite ship.

Just one??? With all due respect to the person that asked the question originally, what the heck kind of questions is that? How do I narrow that down? I'll just mention some of the ones I've been watching edit videos of lately

Grace and Daniel (Ready or Not)

Reylo  (Star Wars)

Ten and Rose (Doctor Who)

Kevin and Casey (Split/Glass)

What’s a fandom you’re curious about joining?

One I've been curious about is Teen Wolf. 
There's some K-dramas, Alice in Borderland...there's quite a few things actually.

8 comments:

  1. So glad you did the tag!
    Sherlock and Winne the Pooh both impacted my life a lot too.
    Yess the O.C and Doctor Who. The Mortal Instruments movie is comfort food, and Vampire Diaries is at least incredibly entertaining trash.
    I feel like a lot of the weird Twilight info might have come from me, and for that I am so sorry. XD
    I feel like Pirates could be the answer though.
    All great couples. The feels I feel for them Omigoodness.

    Teen Wolf is so stupid and I love it so much. Alice in Borderlands is a trip. The emotionally scaring kind that I recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I don't know why they both had such a big effect on people but I'm glad I'm not the only one.
      Right! It makes me happy when I'm sad.
      Could be XD although it's probably a combination since I also knew weird things.
      Think what you will, but I had fun not answering that one. XD
      Right! I realized I was watching edits of some of the tragic ones and it hurt

      I'm excited to do both of them at some point. I always appreciate the kind of recommendation that's like 'this destroyed me, you should do it.'

      Delete
  2. So many good fandoms! The ones I know are I Love Lucy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Sherlock Holmes, Edward Scissorhands, Stranger Things, The Raven Cycle, and Star Wars. And I love them all.
    I read the first Twilight book, and you're definitely not missing out, XD. Unless, of course, you're reading/watching it to make fun of it.
    I really need to watch Doctor Who. I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! They're so good.
      Personally if I read/watch it I doing it purely to make fun of it. XD I watched a bit of the first movie and I couldn't take it seriously. It's hilarious though if you don't XD (at least for me)
      You should! I apologize in advance/full warning Doctor Who (if you end up enjoying it) will absolutely break you. It's so good, fun, campy, and then it can be so tragic so quickly.

      Delete
  3. I have actually...not ever explored any of your childhood fandoms. XD (Except Winnie-the-Pooh. I did a lot of Winnie-the-Pooh as a kid.) In fact, I don't know many of these fandoms at all!
    Except, Pirates of the Caribbean is amazing. And Howl's Moving Castle is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie-the-Pooh is the best! From a completely biased standpoint I highly recommend them XD There are so many fandoms I don't know either.
      They are!!

      Delete
  4. I Love Lucy! My sister and I only watch it from time to time, but whenever we do we binge it like crazy.

    Sherlock Holmes is so good in so many different versions.

    Your answer to the "best characters" question is so great! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just one of those shows where it feels wrong not to binge. Like it's I Love Lucy, you have too.

      Right! I can't really pick a favourite, he's just so good. Granted i haven't seen every version but I've loved different aspects from the ones that I have.

      XD Thanks. I had way too much fun with that one.

      Delete