Sunday 13 December 2020

Random Christmas Things


Christmas is coming and I've been trying to get into the feel of it. Oddly enough I haven't been able to settle into that cozy sort of feeling that you get around Christmas. I've felt like this since November and I've been trying to come out of it. November was good and I had some really great moments it's just that I've felt oddly detached from the things I'm doing and it's annoying. I think it has to do with the fact that my sleep schedule has been actual crap and it's finally catching up to me. 

Essentially how I expected I would be

Vs.

How I've been

I've definitely been trying to break this feeling. I've been watching Christmas movies, been listening to Christmas music, wrapped gifts, and been trying to remember to slow down. It snowed finally today. Since my petty feud with Winter in October it's been afraid to show up again and I've apologized several times reminding it that December is the time for snow. It seems to have worked so I'm hoping that we're on good terms again. It didn't snow much, but it was something.

My reaction to the snow

My family has been cutting out paper snowflakes, decorated the Christmas tree, all the things really. My step-dad has been decorating the outside of our house which is something he's been doing every year for the last few years and it's always stunning. Although this year we reached a peak somewhere when he rented a lift so he could reach the top of our roof better. He's become that lady from the Grinch that had that decorating canon to shoot lights onto her house.  



Taylor Swift released Evermore and I've been really excited for it. My personal favourite at the current moment is No Body, No Crime. She's such a good writer. The lyrics of this album are stunning. I am biased towards Folklore, but this one was good too. I still can't believe that she did Folklore let alone another album entirely.


A family member gave me $20 in a Christmas card and I immediately used it to buy some of the random food items I've been dreaming of for the last 3 months. Things like Guava Juice, specific tubs of ice-cream, liverwurst/ Triscuit crackers, and a pomegranate. 10/10 Would walk to the Underworld for a pomegranate. The story of Persephone makes complete sense to me. 


My list of Christmas movies I try to watch every year are pretty much the ones that everyone watches but I'll put them anyway. Maybe there's a couple less known ones in there, but I doubt it.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

The Grinch (2000)

Home Alone (1990) 

Elf (2003)

Santa Clause (1994)

Klaus (2019)

Jack Frost (1998)

Rise of the Guardians (2012)

How the Ghost Stole Christmas (X-files s.6 ep.6)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018)

The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017)

Polar Express (2004)

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (2008) (I'm not really a big fan of Hallmark movies but this one has been the exception. Also it has Henry Winkler in it and he's hilarious.)

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005) 

 

 There's some photos from last year that I've really wanted to use so maybe I'll do a post with a few older photos. When I say older, I mean January so still this year technically.


Anyways, Merry Christmas!
And I hope everyone's been having a good December so far.  


6 comments:

  1. I adore your family's approach to decorating. XD
    Love the pictures too!
    Fantastic movie list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same feeling about not being able to settle in all that well to the holidays! It's gotten better the past few days, now that school is lightening up a tiny bit, though.

    Oh my word, you rented a lift? Wow. That's dedication. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks right! Glad it's gotten easier for you. It makes sense though and it's impressive that you've been doing homework this whole time. I've just sort of frittered my time doing nothing. The last couple days have been starting to get easier for me too so I'm glad we're getting there. Even if it's slowly.

      That was my reaction, among a few other reactions XD
      He told me he was perfectly safe and in his defense he would look both ways before he swung out over the road. The image of my step-dad being the lady from the Grinch will never leave my brain.

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely in Christmas spirit, but not in the mood for the music really.

    I've not watched most of those movies, a few are on Disney+ and I have one from the library. I'll still be doing christmas the traditional 12 days so I have a bit.

    I'm behind on the Taylor Swift albums, I never listened to pop music unless shopping until college, and I've felt that my mood is always a few albums behind, but I don't think this time I've caught up to Lover, and I've only listen to one from Folklore and just now to the one from Evermore you have.

    Pomegranates are divine. A few years we would get ones in our stocking. Recently I've been finding them at Walmart, and not the real city one, but my work town, so I've been thrilled. I have a bowl of seeds (I think of them as jewels) in my refrigerator now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good! My mood for Christmas music changes all the time too. There's some that put me in the Christmas spirit and then other times they just seem too...saccharine is honestly the best word I can think of to describe it. Lately I've just been listening to music in general and it's put me in the Christmas mood more than the carols have (although I've been listening to both) Although if music isn't your thing generally, that also makes sense.

      I have the opposite problem XD I'm ahead on her albums. I've only recently gotten into listening to her much. So I haven't really heard her earlier ones much with the exception of 1989 or Reputation possibly. I'd heard some songs of hers in the past and had liked them but my mom didn't like her so it wasn't something I listened to. I like some of the songs in Evermore and the lyrics are stunning but some of the melodies of some of the songs just don't stick with me much.

      They are!! Divine is a good word for them. Ooh! I love the thought of getting a pomegranate in my stocking. I usually get one of those special mandarin oranges that you really can only get at Christmas which is also really nice. I love Christmas mandarin oranges. I think of pomegranates like jewels too. My goblin brain loves it XD

      Delete