Thursday 3 June 2021

Watching 'The Lost Boys' At The Drive-In

 

The moon. There were stars and the sky
looked a little purple for awhile.

In May, Skye took me and her sister to the drive-in to see 'The Lost Boys' (1987) as a surprise. It was one of those movies I'd seen when I was younger but didn't know what it was and my dad was able to tell me. And coincidentally the Drive-in was playing it at the same time (which I didn't know at the time) and I'd been talking about the movie. Anyways she took me with and I absolutely loved it. It's got cheesy vampire aesthetics (love the distinctly 80's style), mullets, it's hilarious... (Thanks to Skye for letting me use her photos! They're a bit blurry but I like them and I think it suits the whole vibe.)








We all lay down in the back of the car and by the end of the movie I had lost all feeling in my arms. Totally worth it though. We saw a bat during the movie and I got way too excited about it. Seeing a bat while we watched an 80's vampire movie is something I didn't know I needed until it happened. 10/10 would recommend. It was a moment that may forever define my life.

A theater goer (me) internally debating how risky
it would be to drink pop right now.

The car ended up needing a jumpstart by the end of the movie but we were able to see the whole thing. The important thing that I didn't think about the time was the irony of something dying and jump-starting back to life while watching a vampire movie. Did the car turn into a vampire too? Maybe. 



The movie is so quotable, campy, and fun. It's labeled as a horror/comedy, which honestly I just thought it was hilarious. For me the scariest part was whatever the heck was going on with the sweaty jazz player at the beginning. And there is a 'scene' but honestly nothing else really bothered me (personal opinion, everyone is different). So if you're looking for a campy 80's vampire movie, I highly recommend it. I might have to add this movie to my list of comfort movies. It has one of the dumbest fight scenes and I love it so much.  The fight scene was truly impeccable. Two vampires just push each other's shoulders across the top of a room, attempting to shove each other into the plethora of antlers lining the top, but kind of failing for awhile. Once one pushes the other one across the room they just sort of hiss at each other 'My turn! Don't fight me Michael.'

I wasn't kidding

Michael is the older brother that gets turned into a vampire. We love him. He's so stupid, but amazing. And he's pretty, so that's always a win. He kind of looks like Billy from Stranger things at times and it wasn't something any of us had initially been expecting, but we appreciated it.


The vampires ate chinese food (with chopsticks, which I think is hilarious. Don't wooden stakes kill vampires when you stab them?) in a cave/earthquake rubbled remains of a fancy hotel with chandeliers and everything. Look at these gremlins, I love them. I mean the one guy is kind of terrible, but when he's not showing his really problematic side, there's just something hilarious about him. You'd think in an 80's movie, David (white hair guy) would kill Michael who was hitting on his girlfriend but no, he just sort of trolls Michael into becoming a vampire. Like the guy just wanted more vampire friends apparently.



Anyways, fantastic movie, it was a true summer experience watching this in the back of a car at a drive-in underneath the moon, there was a bat, and I can't say thank you enough to Skye for taking me with. So thank you! It's not much, but I adored the whole experience. 








8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had fun! Definitely my favorite summer memory so far. I love the gremlins. And Michael's Billy vibes were impeccable. It's a fantastic comfort film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Same. They're so good! Honestly though, there were some shots where he looked just like him. It is!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a hilarious movie! Not really my thing, but I'm glad you had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! True, I don't think it's for everyone but then that just means there'll be a different movie that'll mean just as much. Aw thanks! I really did. I'm trying to file it away under core memories but that never seems to work on command.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a fun movie! I'll probably see it at some point (cuz vampires). Going to a drive-in looks like so much fun. I've always wanted to do that.
    *tilts head to the side* Michael really DOES look like Billy.
    Seeing a bat while watching a vampire movie just sounds awesome.
    This was so fun to read! It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I'd love to hear what you think of it if you do end up watching it. I think you might like it.
      I hope you get to go to a drive-in at some point. They're really fun when you don't get eaten alive by mosquitoes XD
      Right!! There were some shots where he looked exactly like him.
      It was!! I'm spoiled now if I ever watch more vampire movies, because chances are I probably won't see another bat during a vampire movie again.
      Aw thanks! Glad you liked the post. I did!

      Delete
  4. This looks like quite a unique movie! Not my thing, it would freak me out, but definitely out of the ordinary.

    Also a bat and the vampire movie! Bats in daylight freak me out (we had one sleeping on our fruit tree, I swear it looked like a fuzzy gray peach growing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! That makes sense.

      I like bats as a concept. Accidently touching one without realizing would be terrifying. Love that you have a peach tree though!

      Delete