Tuesday 8 June 2021

Q&A

Thank you to everyone for sending in questions! This post has been really fun to work on and all your guys' questions were great! So without further ado, let's get into it.

 McKayla's questions

What's your third favorite color?

That question entirely depends on my mood, the season, the weather, everything really.

I've always liked green, purple, teal...the contrast of black and pink has been a fun one for me lately.

If you're looking for really specific ones, there's the colour of these leaves.



Favorite type of flower?

Sunflowers are probably my favourite, but there's so many good ones.
One I remember being obsessed with when I was younger was the Sagebrush Mariposa Tulip

Not my photo and I'm not entirely sure who it belongs to.
Found it off Google images.

I remember stumbling across this flower once when I was really little and I thought it was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. I had no idea what it was so I drew it obsessively trying to see if anyone else knew. Clearly I found out eventually. I found these flowers so rarely that on the odd occasion that I did find one, it felt like a sacred moment. I took things like this very seriously as a kid, and it's almost reassuring to know that I've always been this dramatic. The knowledge of this flower's existence is deeply imbedded into my memory.

Favorite animal?

There's a lot...foxes, raccoons (although I've run away from raccoons a surprising amount of times considering this answer), white deer, crows/ravens make me happy when I see them. Apparently any animal that makes me sound like a witch are my favourites. I named a rather insane looking crow Jonathan Strange, and a perfectly normal looking crow Simon. I'm an INFP, naming random things has always been deeply encoded into my DNA. And when I say this crow seemed a little insane I mean it. Despite that, I kept feeding it fries sitting in a van while aggressively using the window button just in case he decided to fly up into the van. 

Jonathan Strange was named after a character that made himself go temporarily mad and Simon was named after a character played by Robert Sheehan in The City of Bones movie with Lilly Collins.

Jonathan Strange (Left)

Simon. Robert Sheehan is so underrated in this movie.

Who are some fictional characters that you think you're like?

There's a lot. 
I'm just going to give three names of characters I think I possibly have some similarities to.

Lane (Gilmore Girls) 


Jaskier (The Witcher)


Either Mulder or Scully depending on the day

I am both of them

Favorite Buffy the Vampire Slayer character (from what you've seen so far)?

Aside from Buffy herself, maybe Spike and Oz.
Giles and Willow are great too though. Drucilla is kind of insane, love her too. 
Angel is so clearly uncomfortable all the time it's kind of hilarious.

What's your favorite musical?

Not counting movie musicals...

Hadestown (my current favourite)

                                         Phantom of the Opera (2011 Royal Albert Hall)                                            (the one that started it all, and will forever be a top favourite)

Dear Evan Hansen

Newsies

Hamilton

Do you like coffee?

I love coffee! It's the best and there's so many ways to have it. Although lately I've been drinking it black. 

What is your OTP (you can do more than one if you want to)?

Kit and Count Olaf (Series of Unfortunate Events)

Kevin and Casey (Split/Glass)

Damon and Bonnie (Vampire Diaries)

I have more OTP's than this but there's 3 that I maybe don't mention as often even though they're amazing.

What is/was your favorite subject in school?

I finished an English Lit course last fall. Having someone grade your work is stressful but I actually had fun with the course itself.

What's your favorite character trope?

Final girl, monster boi, accidently adopting a kid/ the dad trope (especially with murder dads, but really I'm a sucker for it regardless), fake dating, when a character puts all their excessive amounts of weapons down...there's quite a few.

I'd forgotten before rewatching Spirited Away recently that
it had a monster boi.


Keep in mind, the guy on the right is also the dragon. I love the contrast.
And they're whole dynamic was so cute.

Favorite dessert?

Cheesecake maybe?

Skye's questions

Favourite character of the moment?

I have so many...some of the most recent ones include

Alfie Solomon and Thomas Shelby (Peaky Blinders)

The 'Floof' intern, and pretty much everyone in Vincenzo so far (Vincenzo)


Emily, Miranda, Andrea, Nigel (Devil Wears Prada)


Tonya (I, Tonya)


Can we talk about I, Tonya? Because I didn't expect to love this movie as much as I did.
Same with Devil Wears Prada but for different reasons.

What’s a question you wish you were asked?

This question makes me both forget every question I've ever wanted to be asked and a fear of wasting this opportunity.

What's something I'm always on the lookout for?

The alternate uncut version of Penelope (with James McAvoy and Christina Ricci). I know it exists. The version of it that you can usually find is the cut version. I would pay money to get the version where James McAvoy and Christina Ricci swear. There's two specific sentences that I know happen but they're cut in the copy I own. Is that a weird thing to want? I don't care, if anyone knows where I can find a reasonably priced copy for the alternate version. I would be eternally grateful. Although Penelope, regardless of the version, is just amazing.

Something you’d recommend to anyone?

Mitchell's vs. The Machines (2021)

A Map of Tiny Perfect Things (2021)

Spirited Away (2001) 
(The pure happiness that this movie gives me is incredible)

Pacific Rim (2013)

These have pretty wide-spread appeal I think.
Really just go to Skye's 'I wish I was Persephone' post. 
It's great, and I'm shamelessly stealing from it.

Favourite type of music?

I'm terrible at knowing the genre of different songs. If I like a song, I like it. I think I like songs from a variety of genres, but grain of salt. Indie/Alternative and Poprock according to the radio are a couple favourites.


What’s something or someone you like that’s problematic?

I sort of know a spoiler for a Vincenzo character that I know is going to be problematic, so here's to loving a currently unproblematic character knowing full well what I'm getting into and being kind of excited to see how it goes.

Violette's Questions

Most disappointing book you've ever read?

I can't remember what my most disappointing book is, but the most recent one was I'd started reading the book The Queen's Gambit. I was doing completely fine until a character I wasn't expecting to did something that made me hesitant to continue. I'd been really excited to read it too. I adore the show, but I've decided to leave the book alone for now.

Are you on Spotify?

I'm not, no.

What is your favorite holiday?

As far as the big ones go, possibly Halloween and Christmas. Although Christmas can be really stressful so that definitely puts a damper on it, but when it isn't stressful it's fantastic. Thanksgiving (my slapdash version in particular) is a recent favourite.

This one isn't an actual holiday but I have a weird obsession with the Ides of March. For some reason it's important to me that I know when it's happening and that I tell someone else that it's happening.
 Anyone else of a weird obsession with the Ides of March? I can't be the only one.

Favorite flavor of ice cream?

Haggan Daas Strawberry Ice cream. With their Coffee flavour being my close runner-up second.
It's genuinely changed my life. 


What is your first ever fandom? (that you can remember)

Sherlock Holmes in general is one that I don't remember when I first saw it, I just always remember being obsessed with it. Some of my other earliest ones are Edward Scissorhands, Lilo and Stitch (or Disney in general particularly the Renaissance era), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Spirit-Stallion of the Cimarron, Sinbad- Legend of the Sevens Seas, All Dogs Go To Heaven, The Land Before Time (the first one)...the list goes on

MovieCritic's Questions

What is something that everyone should know about you?

The most important thing you should know about me is that if I ever got into an even slightly torturous situation, I would spill everything. I would be that one kid from the Goonies who confesses to every little thing that he's ever done wrong.
I also have a terrible memory so the combination is rather ironic.

I have a habit of changing my mind on something or change what I'm doing as soon as I say it. It's not intentional it just sort of happens and I'll suddenly catch myself doing it. Especially for dumb little things. I would say it's coincidence, but it's happened too many times for it to be that. Take from that what you will.



If you were to go on a quest with fictional characters, who would you choose (you can pick up to 8)?

So I don't think this was the intention of this question but the quest that I'm choosing is putting everyone into a large van and going on a short roadtrip/getting slushies quest while blasting the radio.

I propose that the following 8 characters come with on a slushie run: 
(keep in mind, this probably is not a group that would mesh together very easily. There's so many characters that I want to bring. One grouping I was considering was pretty much the whole cast of Vincenzo going on a road-tripish slushie run, but I wanted to spread it out more.)

Jaskier, Geralt, and Ciri (The Witcher)

Geralt (left) Ciri (right) she's practically his adopted kid and 
it's so cute from the little we see. I can't wait for season 2.

Geralt (left) Jaskier (right) I desperately need Geralt to apologize to 
Jaskier so I can enjoy the whole family dynamic. 

Frank and Amy (Punisher) 


Joel and Minnow (Love and Monsters)


Klaus Hargreeves (Umbrella Academy)

Can we just take a moment to appreciate his jacket here? I love it. 

What is your favorite adaptation of your favorite book/story?

Possibly the BBC adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and the movie for 'We Have Always Lived In The Castle'

The We Have Always Lived In The Castle movie has a more dramatic darker edge to it (in some respects), but I thought the addition/changes suited the movie. To be fair I did watch the movie before I read the book so I might be biased. It feels very real.

Oh! and Coraline is really good. It is a bit different from the book but they are still pretty similar. Neil Gaiman actually requested that Henry Selick (who had fully intended on making it as exact as he could) have fun with interpreting it and not worry too much about making everything exactly the same. So if and author gives you his blessing, you go with it.

Are you watching any TV shows right now? What are they?

Some shows I've recently finished are, Punisher. Community, and The Witcher (season 1 at least. Not sure when season 2 is dropping exactly)
Daredevil
New Girl
Vincenzo
Peaky Blinders
Rewatching some Parks and Rec

What is a movie that you love regardless of flaws?

City of Bones (with Lilly Collins)

A Cinderella Story (with Hillary Duff) 
I think it is incredibly important that I also state that I think A Cinderella Story is genuinely one of the greatest movies of all time. And no, I don't take criticism on that.

Samantha's Questions

Do you know your Hogwarts house, and if so, what is it?

I'm a Ravenclaw!

What's your favorite biome?

Anything with moss in it, I'm happy.

What's your favorite kind of tea?

Peppermint and Red Rose (Orange Pekoe) are my go to teas.
Earl Grey Vanilla/London Fogs are amazing

Are you a mood reader or a planning reader, or somewhere in between?

I was going to say somewhere in between but I think I'm more of a mood reader. It's actually a bit frustrating at times because sometimes I'll be excited for a book and I just can't get into it even if it's one that ends up becoming a favourite.


Not always, but it happens more frequently than I'd like.

Do you have any siblings? 

I'm the oldest of 9 actually




Livia's Questions


Most annoying tropes/lazy writing plots (like for me, one is unnecessary secret keeping that causes a big huge fight later)

That's definitely a frustrating one.
One less plot related one, but being constantly told how smart, strong, or whatever about a character is annoying. If you have to keep reminding me, you probably failed at what you were trying to go for. 

Do you like classics, if so what are your favorites?

I do like classics, I haven't read many of them considering how many classics are out there, but I have read quite a few. Some favourites are Something Wicked This Way Comes, We Have Always Lived In The Castle, The Blue Castle, I Capture the Castle, (if Howl's Moving Castle doesn't count, it should) The Secret Garden, Tuck Everlasting, Wuthering Heights (it's aesthetic and the characters are all terrible people but it's fun to see what everyone does next), The Great Gatsby, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, A Christmas Carol, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, And Then There Were None, Frankenstein, the list goes on. 

Some books like Les Miserables, and Jules Verne in general from the few that I've read (despite some problematic elements) are just funny to me. It's been a long time since I've read either, but I remember thinking they were both very comedic once you get past some very long-winded sections. 

Favorite siblings, friends, ships (canon or non-canon) in books and movies. 
(Keep in mind, all of this is subject to rapid change)

For books: 

Siblings: Puck, Gabe, and Finn (The Scorpio Races)
Friends: The Raven Boys and Blue (The Raven Cycle)

Ships (canon): Howl and Sophie (Howl's Moving Castle) 

For Movies: 

Siblings: At this current moment in time Katie and her brother from The Mitchell's vs. The Machines

Friends: I've been rewatching Parks and Rec again lately so I'm going to choose the whole main cast of that.

Ships (non-canon): Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth Swann would have been a fun, possibly disastrous pairing, that I'm absolutely here for.

Are you a library user or more of a book buyer? Fast or slow reader

Both. Usually I order a book from the library, or borrow it from someone and then I'll buy it for myself if I like it. Although sometimes I'll just buy it.

I'm a fairly fast reader I think. Although compared to my sister I'm very slow.

What's something unique about yourself, family, or situation.


Not going to lie this question made me laugh. The answers I have for this...

There was a portion of time when I worked for my uncle as a nanny a couple years ago (is it already that long ago? sheesh) and I stayed with my grandma quite a bit on my days off. She's kind of crazy in the best way and I love her. I swear the time at her house works differently than most places. She also has a family of raccoons that we had to guard against and sometimes chase out of the house. I'm pretty sure my uncle (different uncle) is going to die getting rabies trying to pet raccoons. He's like a Disney princess when it comes to animals. I told him that and he fully accepts that title. He's still probably going to die though. 

My uncle being a Disney princess wasn't the answer I thought I was going to put for this question but here we are. Animals just seem to love him. Particularly cats. I've seen him make special stops to feed strays the extra cat food he keeps in his car. It's so pure.

Dream pet. Favorite book animal.

I really don't think this answer is going to surprise anyone but I would love to have a fox.
My favourite book animal might be the snake that Mary talks to in the 'Secret Garden'. I don't know why but it always stuck with me.

Dream house.

To be honest, I've never personally been a huge fan of the modern house look (not that it doesn't look nice, it's just always felt a little impersonal) so I'd prefer an older house, although it wouldn't need constant repairs. It would rain fairly frequently, and there would be moss and twisty trees. If it could look slightly haunted (but I felt safe) that would be even better. 

A castle could be fun. I'm not saying it would be practical, but if we're talking about dream houses, it's perfect.
The hat shop/flower shop/moving castle from Howl's Moving Castle.

Apparently I just want to live like Mabel in Gravity Falls


Dream travel location from a book.

There's so many places, but possibly Ingary from Howl's Moving Castle.

One real place I would love to go to is the Isle of Skye. Neil Gaiman wrote his introduction/forward for 'The Ocean At the End of the Lane' while he was at the Isle of Skye so I'm pretending that this counts as a valid answer.

Anyways, that's it! Hope you guys enjoyed it! 
 


16 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Sagebrush Mariposa Tulips, but they look SO COOL!

    Hey, fellow Ravenclaw! *gives you a high-five*

    Oooh, moss! I love moss, too. :)

    I've never had a London Fog, but honestly, I kind of want to, just because of the name. XD

    I can be the same with books! It's so frustrating sometimes! (I'm getting better at being a planning reader, but...still a mood reader at heart, tbh.) (Also, the meme that you put there? PERFECT. BEAUTIFUL. HILARIOUS.)

    Wow, oldest of nine! That must be really fun! (I'm only the oldest of five...)

    Apparently, when it comes to classics, you just like castles? XD

    Ooh, Ingary would be SO fun to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I was obsessed with these years ago. I haven't seen one in a while though.

      Hey! *high-fives back*

      Moss is the absolute best!!

      That's the reason I tried a London Fog the first time too. XD They're really easy to make, I know Starbucks makes them too.

      It is! XD I laughed a lot while putting the meme there and at your reaction. The meme is from cartoon The Road To Eldorado and I highly recommend it.

      5 is still quite a few though. I love my siblings but it can be a lot.

      *Stands in front of the several books in a row with castle in the title that I mentioned* whatever gave you that impression? XD
      *Flynn Ryder voice* Guys, I want a castle.

      It would!!

      Delete
    2. Haha, I feel like I was watching something recently about castles and thought that with the Flynn voice too.

      Delete
    3. Love that lol. Castles and Flynn Ryder are the best!

      Delete
  2. Great bit from the Road to Eldorado
    What is the movie under the 9 sibling answer?
    It is super annoying to be told what a character is like isn't it? Like people, it makes us believe you less, show us don't tell us, feels like protesting too much.
    I feel like I found an Instagram account for rescued foxes as pets.
    A castle or at least a stone house would be awesome. Modern houses are indeed boring.

    I keep forgetting Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell 1) Exists (even though I read the massive thing) and 2) Has a movie.

    Sophie and Howl are goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. That movie is chock-full of great bits.
      Yours, Mine, and Ours (2005 I think)
      Exactly! If they really are as smart or whatever as the author claims, it should come out on it on it's own without calling attention to it (unless the author can find a way to do it well)
      Really?! That would be so cool. Not that I could actually have one, but I can dream.
      Honestly though. Modern house styles just seem kind of sterile and I'm always afraid to touch anything, and they really are kind of boring for the most part.

      To be fair, it is one of those ones that, while I think it's really good, is so huge that you just sort of leave it alone for awhile afterwards. It's a very specific read.

      They are!

      Delete
  3. This was so fun to read! A creepy castle sounds like a great place to live.
    Grr, constantly being told what a character is like is SO ANNOYING. In some cases, it makes sense to say it once, but you don't have to keep saying it.
    I'm a mood reader, too. It can be frustrating at times, for sure.
    Ooh, we have the same favorite holidays! I've always liked the Ides of March, too (fun fact: one time, when my sisters and I were younger, we filmed a retelling of Caesar's story, and my one sister kept calling it 'the eyes of March').
    I really need to read I Capture the Castle. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    I love how you named practically every main character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's so hard to pick a favorite because they're all so good.
    You have excellent taste in musicals! I love all of those character tropes.
    Also, "I'm an INFP, naming random things has always been deeply encoded in my DNA." Same. I always have names for the most random things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Right!
      Exactly. I don't mind being told once or twice but the usually so glaringly not the thing being claimed and it can be frustrating.
      Mood reading can either the best thing or thing worst.
      Oh cool! They're such good holidays. I knew I can't be the only one that had a weird obsession with it XD I love that you guys filmed a retelling for it, it sounds like it was really fun.
      You should! It's really good. It's one of those stories where it's really cozy, then at some point everything feels like it's falling apart but it works. It's inspired a story of mine a lot.
      XD Yeah, I'd say a couple but then I'd remember, oh yeah, I liked this one, and this and before you know it I said pretty much all of them.
      Thanks!
      Right! it's almost harder not to.

      Delete
  4. Now I’m craving banana bread and strawberry ice cream. Yes to all the things! Though giving my answers to my question… that’s illegal. XD
    I need a fox so badly! Love knowing that the Disney Princess gene runs in your family.
    Great character choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, it's almost a problem at this point.
      They were good choices though XD alright, as far as movies go maybe Pacific Rim, Penelope, Pirates of the Caribbean for three movie choices.
      I know right! It really does, it's actually hilarious seeing it in other people.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I've never seen or heard of Sagebrush Mariposa Tulips, but they are so pretty!!

    Penelope ANY VERSION is sooooo good! Ack, I need to see that again.

    All of the movies that you listed as your first fandom were my childhood! Man, I don't know if I've ever met someone beside my sisters who have seen Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas!

    Fun answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they though?!!

      Right!!! It's one of those ones that I saw when I was younger and it always stuck with me and it's still a favourite to this day.

      They're such good ones right! It's such an underrated movie and people don't talk about it enough. Glad you guys love it!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm so late! But at any rate, I loved reading this! Filled with cool facts and funny stories. I've never heard of Sagebrush Mariposa Tulips, but I feel as if I've seen them somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late! Glad you liked it!
      Maybe, I've always thought that they had that quality of feeling like you've seen them before

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth,
    You’re an INFP?? I can see that hehe. I am an INTJ. I really enjoyed BBC’s Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell too! Especially the design of The Gentleman. He looked like a true unseelie fairy. I was laughing all the way through this posssst! “Insane crow” hahaha and also I imagined your uncle in a golden gown similar to Belle’s I hope he doesn’t mind. I too have trouble getting into books, I’m ashamed to say I’m much more of a writer than I am a reader. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! XD Oh that's cool! Agreed, his design was pretty much exactly how I pictured him from the book. Oh good! I swear the insane crow knew more than it was letting on. It looked crazy when it was in the parking lot and then it looked normal later and I was suspiciously eyeing being like 'I see you...'
      No I did the same thing XD I wish I didn't have to be in the right mood for specific things, it's a pain right?! Thanks, glad you liked it!

      Delete