Tuesday 26 May 2020

March Week

I've been working on a story idea I've had recently. As far as actual written story goes...


This is sort of a rough prologue thing I guess? So maybe it does count as something story wise, not that it matters. This is more for me than anything.


It was the stint of time before March Week in which the smart left on vacation, locals locked their houses, brown bags carried more than whiskey, and the Witchery stocked up on ingredients.

The town had been plagued by a strange phenomenon for the last few years. Sometimes it was just a dark swirl in the sky. Sometimes it caused storms and was a general nuisance to the fishing boats as it scared the fish, and no one could predict when it would happen next. Once it had caused a thick fog to fall on the town for two days. On more than one occasion it was blamed for crimes it hadn't really caused.
One benefit of the occurrence was that it bothered the mermaids who lived in the harbour and were known to kidnap humans. Their, at least temporary, disappearance was a great relief to everyone.

It had been early discovered that no one could do anything about it. It was a freak storm that they just had to weather out. It was wildly unpredictable and sometimes happened for days at a time. At others, it happened only a couple times a year. For the most part they had learned to live with it but it was incredibly inconvenient when they organized a large yearly event- namely the yearly fireworks.

When the fireworks were to be held, there was a period of about a week in which anyone that could do magic tried everything they could to prevent the occurrence from happening- at least until the event was over. This resulted in the generally accepted name of 'March Week' which was more a reference to the phrase 'mad as a march hare' rather than it occurring in the month of March specifically. As no one knew how to actually prevent the occurrence from happening, the magic users grew increasingly wild with throwing out any spells they thought might help and the non magic users growing increasingly irritated with the magicians which led to the madness of what made March Week.


This idea is supposed to be set in a small magical seaside town. Magical in a more...Diana Wynne Jones way. She's been a huge inspiration for this. Probably too much. I have a more or less main character called Ridley Goth who works at the Witchery or lives there, I don't know yet. She has a memory problem so she takes a lot of photos and has notes and stuff.

Things. Details. Stuff.
I have a board if anyone is curious.
March Week

2 comments:

  1. Well you already know I adore this idea! Love the introduction, sounds like a fabulously slapdash place to live and incredibly chaotic.

    I also just realized how clever the name March Week is, it's almost an ode to Dianna Wynne Jones too. Because she died in March, and people tend to do read through her books during that month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. XD You've heavily inspired it too! Your fairy and the artist story has sparked so much for me. Hopefully I manage writing the actual story right.I want to do it justice.

      Omygosh is it?! I love that and I'm going to pretend that was what I had intended. Although I had thought about her title Witch Week a lot which is one of her books I haven't read yet but want to. Thank you!! I'd totally forgotten that she'd died in March. That means a lot

      Delete