Thursday 14 May 2020

Strange Moths

I wasn't going to do a post today. I still felt a little exhausted after my last post and couldn't believe it had been a week already. I don't really know if I have a blogging schedule but it might be sporadic for the next while. Who knows what will happen.

Anyways I found this moth around and because I have a need to pick things up like a goblin, I did. It's called a cabbage moth and (the caterpillars) are really bad for plants but I also get excited when I see them flying around because it's like little white butterflies. 

I have no idea why but it stuck around with me for awhile. I wasn't even just sitting still. I tried to feed it grape juice which didn't work. I have no idea what moths eat. I watered some plants. I changed settings on my camera to take a picture of it, walked around outside with it, walked around inside with it, grabbed some food for myself, moved it around to sit on my knee. it wasn't going anywhere. I've never had a bug sit on me for so long before with the exception of possibly some honeybees but they don't really count as the same thing. Yes, I know that sounds weird but my mom started petting bees and picking them up off the sidewalk one day and I never stopped doing it myself after. There's a kind of power you feel carrying and petting bees. It's a thing I do. Respect the thing.

Anyways back to the subject...

Me and my entire family thought maybe it was going to die on me but it ended up flying away so...I guess I may have indirectly killed half our future plants which my sister nicely said is most likely but hey.



If anyone ever asked me what my days are like I really wouldn't know what to tell them

4 comments:

  1. I used to try to save ants that were in the house . . . but that stopped after we started gets overrun. How do you pet a honeybee, how are they still that long? I haven't seen honeybees in ages it feels like. Mom has bought some pollinator flower seeds though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that! XD I've got so many things like that too.
      I would never want anyone to get hurt or stung over something probably dumb that I do. I always do it keeping in mind that I run the risk of being stung.
      It's pretty hit or miss. I thought my mom was insane when she first did it. I always remember her saying not to pet the ones that look like they're going to fly away soon. Sometimes there's some that look concentrated on a cluster of flowers and then it's just a couple quick pets with your fingertip really gently. Almost as if you're barely touching them and then move on. Most of it is just watching them. They usually don't really care about you being there unless you're hostile to them.
      If you want to pet a bee I recommend those lone bees you find on the ground by themselves sometimes. They're usually the ones that are going to die soon and they're pretty forgiving. Don't grab them to pick them up but if you just let them wander on you should be fine. I pick those ones up all the time. Petting them on bushes is something I do a lot more rarely.
      Ooh, that'll be so pretty!

      Delete
  2. I love this post. Especially the bee petting tutorial in the comments. I needed that. XD

    ReplyDelete