Thursday 16 April 2020

Favorite People From Different Emma Adaptions

With everything going on, the new Emma movie has been keeping me from completely spiraling. I've been down the spiral many times and I refuse to go back there again, so at this point anything that can keep me from that is a God-send. I cannot express how much this movie has taken over my life.  It's gotten me through so much. I highly recommend it!!!

Disclaimer: All of this is my own opinion of course. Hopefully this is entertaining for someone and I apologize that this post is sort of a mess. I don't know how to fix my own short-comings.

I grew up watching the Gwenyth Paltrow 1996 version of Emma and I've seen the 2009 mini series with Romola Garai multiple times. I saw Clueless for the first time last year and loved it and then of course the new Emma movie about a week ago.
I've read the book multiple times through the years which is funny because I went through a huge 'I hate everything remotely girly' stage and while the movies/series sort of suffered at times because of that, for some reason I didn't mind reading the book. I didn't appreciate Jane Austen like she deserved though at the time. Cue now it's keeping my sanity and life somewhat together.


I'm going to pick my favourite character adaptions from the 1996 version, the 2009 version and the new Emma version. I hate to leave Clueless out because it's amazing and one of my favorites but with it being such a different contemporary take, I feel like it's too different form this list to do easily.

Before I go any farther, each of these versions were great in their own rights. Everyone in the various adaptions all did the job exactly as they were intended with their own creative choices and aesthetics. In short, they're all great in all their own ways.

I'm going to be honest, the new Emma movie is hands down my favourite adaption (along with Clueless). The whole style and humor just really appealed to me and even though I think different adaptions may have done certain characters better, the 2020 version is everything to me. So it probably comes as no surprise that this is my favourite Emma.


My Favourite Mr. Knightly is currently this one from the new Emma and in keeping Clueless out because...actually screw it, I'm adding him too because he's amazing. 


Yes I admit it, now shut up

Okay, now Clueless HAS to stay out because it deserves so much more than I'm able to give it.


My current favorite Frank Churchill and Jane Fairfax  were probably these two from the 2009 version. There's not that many gifs of them that I can find







Can I just mention that I didn't know that the Frank Churchill in the 1996 version was played by  Ewan McGregor? I once described his hair in that movie as the hair version of Arby's curly fries which wasn't even an accurate insult. He did a good job in the movie I just never cared that much about the character personally in this version. Although now I know it's Ewan McGregor I need to rewatch it just because that affects everything.



Favourite Harriet...
Okay so the 1996 version was the only one I knew of for a long time but I think the 2009 version beat her out for the portrayal. 1996 Harriet is still the first Harriet that comes to my mind when I hear her name because habit or whatever. I also love the new Harriet, but while it completely fit for her with the style of the movie I wish they hadn't played on the dumb aspect quite as much. Again still love her. Finding a GIF for 2009 Harriet was far more difficult than I expected.

That's Harriet on the left



Favourite Mr. Woodhouse...depends what we're going for tone wise...I'd say that's a tie between 2009 and the 2020 version. The 2020 one is more entertaining to me and the 2009 one just seems depressed but you understand why. But because the new one has been cheering me up a ton lately I'll use a gif of him. I'll be honest, anything that cheers me up is probably my favourite anyway.



Favourite Mr Elton...I don't like him much in any version but I found him entertaining in the new Emma in the most ridiculous way possible. 



As far as anyone else goes I don't have that much opinion on them. Except my favourite Mr. Weston being the 2020 version but I've already used a bunch of GIFs already.

I just realized I haven't picked anybody as protraying my favourite character version from the 1996 movie. Which would make you think that this is my least favourite version. I actually remember liking it a lot more than the 2009 mini series.
 I wasn't a big fan of the 2009 Emma character in that one. It's not that she was bad at all, she had her good times too but in general it just wasn't my Emma. But I'm not going to lie, it has been forever since I watched the 1996 or 2009 version so who knows how much any of this holds up under rewatching, but currently I think this list is fairly accurate.


I hope all of you guys are doing okay out there! 











2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to watch all of the adaptations! Loved hearing your thoughts about all of them. Glad you left in the part about comparing the one guys hair to curly fries. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like them! Thanks! Oh good, I was hoping it would come across as entertaining.

      Delete