Saturday 28 March 2020

I Love Reylo

 I've only gotten into Stars Wars fairly recently. I'd seen one movie when I was a lot younger with my dad and that was pretty much it for quite a long time. Which is kind of a good thing because I feel like I appreciate the movies better now than I would have in the past. Even though I wish I could say I grew up with it. It's not really an important detail but I thought I'd mention it.

Disclaimer: I mean no offence to anyone. I just have a lot of thoughts and I know this is a controversial pairing.


To begin with Kylo Ren/Ben Solo...

#1 Adam Driver is an incredible actor. 

 I love good villains, antagonists, heroes, and plain dumb entertaining characters. I'm not special. 
My favourite ones though are messy characters. Ones at war with themselves. Heroes who struggle with making good decisions. I don't really relate to characters who embody perfect ideals because that's just it. They're not really people but a cardboard advertisement instead of multi-faceted humans.
I love gray characters. 


Kylo Ren is essentially an emo teenager who's dramatic, stupid and confused and I love him.


 He's struggling and angry and battling himself. He's human. . He's failing being what he's 'supposed' to be. He doesn't fit and he's lonely.

That being said Kylo Ren has done terrible things, I'm not denying that at all or forgetting what he's done but he was also a leader on the dark side. Like that's literally the whole point to being on the dark side. It's kind of your job description.


 You can't really have a redemption arc if the one being redeemed doesn't have anything to be redeemed of. He will always have to live with the things he's done. There's weight to it. 



Now Rey...



One thing I loved about Rey in The Last Jedi is that she was nothing. She wasn't important and I loved that. I wish they'd kept to that in the Rise of Skywalker which is a movie I have so many issues with that it deserves it's own post. Hopefully I'll get to that at some point.
She's on the light side, yes. But she's struggling with the dark side. She's afraid. She's battling herself. It's a lonely thing to constantly battle yourself. It's hard work. It's isolating even if you're surrounded by people. No one really knows what she's going through because no one else is having this problem. It's easy for them.

She's not quite the hero everyone thinks she is and she learns Kylo or Ben isn't quite the monster she thinks he is. She could become just the same as him. They're both a little gray.


A line that was in the Rise of Skywalker trailer was 
"Everyone keeps telling me that they know me, but they don't."
And then there's Kylo's voice saying, "But I do."

I absolutely loved that line and it wasn't in the movie and I'm still bitter about it.

There's a depth to their relationship that I'm struggling to put into words. They're both fighting for each other and they're caught on opposite sides of a war and they're trying to reconcile the two. They care about each for who they really are. When I say I ship Reylo I mean Ben Solo and Rey. Because Ben Solo is who he really is. Kylo needed to be redeemed. Their relationship isn't simple. It's complicated but in the best way. It's growing and changing slowly for the better. I also just really love battle couples. I'm basic, I know.

And also if this isn't a power couple I don't know what is. Literally the rest of my argument is gifs.








I didn't really do this justice so I'm going to end it there. I love Reylo. I am a trash human who likes battered, misunderstood and broken trash with substance. Sorry that this post a disaster.






















4 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! Fantastic gifs and point.
    (That Shane gif is also super relatable)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could have gone on so much longer.
      Right! XD

      Delete
  2. Yes! I love finding others who ship Reylo! You're absolutely right, though, as the ship name didn't really fit as it's Ben and Rey who we're shipping.

    Also, hi! I've been reading your posts and they're really fun and good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!! It is a good ship name so I can't complain. I keep thinking that maybe I'm over it but then I see a photo or an edit and I'm fangirling about it again

      Aw thanks! Glad you enjoy them! I cringe a little but I'm glad other people like them.

      Delete