Friday 13 March 2020

The Fantabulous

  I saw Birds of Prey last February and while I know it's not everyone's kind of thing, personally I loved it! And this seems to be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I really liked the long title. I understand why they changed it, but personally I just really liked it.


Going into the movie, I only knew Harley Quinn had broken up with the Joker and I'd seen a photo of her eating cheese-wiz and crying on a couch. Just that image alone was the whole reason I wanted to see this movie. I saw the trailer for the first time on the way over to the theater. 




As far the movie goes I went in with some slight personal reservations but really it was everything I wanted it to be. One worry was it was going to be over-the-top feminist and man-hating but it really wasn't. Just a purely fun albeit dangerous glow-up film for Harley from her perspective. It's violent and chaotic, it jumps around but it works, the aesthetics were everything, the fight scenes were amazing, there's confetti bombs, a hyena named Bruce, grocery shopping, egg sandwiches, explosions, a pick pocket kid with absolutely no gag reflex...  There's so much more I could add that's probably more relevant to the plot but I digress. It is also R rated, but I'm assuming most people going to see this movie know that.



It's crazy and brilliant. Also I wasn't expecting to care so much about it. For whatever reason this movie was exactly what I needed at the time. Ewen McGregor plays a great villain. I actually thought the Birds all had plenty of time to come into themselves for their origin story. And I loved how they would make plans and as soon as they tried to carry it out it fell into shambles and they had to adapt. I would have loved to see more of them but I also loved what we got of them. I thought it suited the movie well. They were all fantastic. Everyone in this movie was.



There's so much I could say about what I love about this movie. I appreciate all the time and effort so many people had to put into it. I think it shows. I heard in a random YouTube video I watched that someone described this movie as feeling like a passion project and I whole-heartedly agree.


2 comments: