Friday 15 January 2021

I Generally Hate Ads, Except These Ones

 Okay, so ads are annoying. But some are just so good, bizarre or surreally iconic. I think some of the people that make ads are really passive-aggressively salty and it can be unexpectedly entertaining.  Some of my current annoying favourites are...

There's this ad for this used car dealership and essentially the guy (I call him Karl with a 'K' for reasons that don't exist) says that if you treat your customers well, they'll come back to you. That customers can tell when you aren't genuine. And then a few weeks later they started running this very confusing ad that was him saying that they won the #1 thing or whatever and they're not willing to give that up. Which seems fine, good for Karl. But then he mentions (in a very subdued voice compared to the original ad) that they are working really hard to get the customer's trust back up and I'm just like "What happened at the dealership Karl?"

So now I've become weirdly interested in the drama of a used car dealership. Is it a good sales strategy to admit that you've been shady? Also how do you have such a good award and yet you need to get the general trust back up?

And Karl apparently

There's this other one where there's this couple and the wife is pregnant apparently. Now this ad is being narrated by a guy who says that what's-her-face and what's-his-face have been getting ready for the big day when what's-her-face (keep in mind it's a guy voicing this entire thing) screams "IITTT'S TIIIMME!"

Then they run through their list of things they need and realize they can't find they're car keys so now the guy screams "NOOO!" and then there's something like "Don't worry, something something towing company has your back" (which I think is very rude. They could have at least called an ambulance. A towing company is just rude)

Then the couple is so grateful they're going to name their baby after the towing company or something and then they begin to start scream-spelling the name and the tow truck driver is already gone. 

Essentially nothing about this ad make sense and everytime the man screams that 'it's time', I have a heart attack.

To be fair, even while trying to scream like a pregnant woman,
the guy never even attempted to sound feminine which almost made it funnier.
It was a very emphatic man announcing that it was time.

There's this other ad that I'm actually not sure what it's for but essentially the part I remember is like this..."Some things get better with time, like cheese, wine, your Great Aunt Becky"...like what does that even mean? I'm not sure I particularly want to know. Maybe she gets nicer as she gets older? Maybe you're waiting for her to die because there's money willed to you? Who knows. Why is it so specific?


There's this other ad that played around Christmas and I think it was supposed to be spreading Christmas cheer or something but I got a very aggressive vibe from it. There's this lady who has a son and he LOVES her neighbour Amy's Christmas lights and he's constantly wanting to go over to see them. She says a few things but she jokingly mentions that 'she thinks her son loves the Christmas lights more than her' and she seems to have a subtle grudge against Amy.

 No one else in my family seemed to notice so maybe it was all in my head but I swear that lady needed to talk to someone about that.

This was the general energy the lady was giving off

There's this other one where there's this older guy that sounds like a dad in a 50's radio show and he's like 'We seem to be having some trouble with the car Mary' and then she says in the fakest voice I've ever heard 'Oh no! What's wrong with the car George?' and then he mumbles 'I don't know Mary.'

Again, no effort was made on her part

There's this other one that's not so much an ad as much as someone just briefly talking. He's like 'Kids these days just don't talk anymore. They're always on their cellphone's. But actually my daughter has this group of friends and they calls themselves, like, a 'squad', and they put their phones in a bowl and actually talk to each other.'

He sounded so shocked and trying too hard to be 'hip' and it's really only hilarious to me.


This is an incredibly random and honestly dumb post but it's been weirdly entertaining. We'll see how long I keep this post up. Hopefully this was entertaining to someone else. Anyone else have any weird ads or things that have stuck with you?

9 comments:

  1. Commercials can be quite all over the place. There are some that are hilarious, some bizarre, some just gross. We typically watch lots of Hallmark, so that channel is full of older people medicines and such, ugh. We usually tape what we want to watch and skip the "commarcials" as one of my sister's pronounces it (and insists she doesn't).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly though. There's this one bizarre one that played a lot when I was younger on my Grandpa's cable TV and there's a grimy frog running along with this very specific song and it was for Duracell batteries or something. But we obsessively watched it and my dad thought it was hilarious so whenever it came on we always frantically called him back to watch it.

      Oh that could be gross XD. That's a good idea though. I love when siblings have those weird things they do that they're insistent they don't

      Delete
  2. Ummm...this is hilarious! I've never heard any of these ads, but it's so true that there are some that are almost worth watching just for the ridiculousness. XD
    (Have you ever watched the Method Soap one that's a parody of "500 Miles"? Fantastic.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! They're from a radio station my family puts on all the time and I've just heard them SO MANY TIMES I had to talk about them. There's something incredibly entertaining about ridiculous ads.

      I haven't but I really want to see it now XD

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! I generally hate ads, too. They're so annoying. These sound funny, though. Love the GIFs.
    I remember one time where one of my sisters and I wanted to make money, so we made laundry detergent out of mud, and made advertisements for it. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I couldn't tell if this post was a dumb or entertaining idea, so I'm so glad you liked it!

      Oh I love that! That sounds hilarious. I remember watching a video of my aunts and uncles making an ad for cat food when they were teenagers and really bored. I forget what they said but my one Uncle ate the cat food like they were chips.

      Delete
  4. These are all so specific and it makes it even funnier.

    ReplyDelete