Monday 2 November 2020

A Madcap End To October


I've been a tad bit obsessed with this song

October is over despite my careful avoidance of calendars. Luckily over the last couple of years I've come to really love November as well. Dark Academia here we come. It's a good transition between my ongoing love of Autumn being ushered into Christmas. I love Christmas but I'm not quite ready to give myself over to it yet.


My madcap farewell to October was to be a ghost in the woods. It's a bit unorthodox and the strangers who might have seen probably thought it was odd, but it was fun. Stupid maybe, but fun.


October/Fall in general was really good. Its been wonderful really. Fall even felt like it started early for me this year as this summer felt autumn-esque at times. 


The photos might have looked better done in the dark, but the woods and people in general are terrifying at night.


I'm so grateful for all the things we (me, Skye, and her sister in particular) were able to do. Grateful for all the places, the movies, the food, apple picking, the slapdash Thanksgiving, pumpkins, star-gazing, the music, walks in the woods, for everything... Its been a blast and its meant a lot.   




I got to some of the books on my list. The list size was ridiculous but I am happy with the ones I got to. There was quite a lot. Some of these were from before October.

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland And Led The Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente 

The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland And Split The Moon In Two by Catherynne M. Valente

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 

The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

The Whispering Skull (Most of it anyway) by Jonathan Stroud

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Lewis Stevenson 

Small Spaces by Katherine Arden

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving 

All these books were amazing. Some were new for me, some were rereads.


I still consider November to have a fall aesthetic, it's a little different, but the feel of it is similar. The crispness is still there, the leaves (if it hasn't snowed), the dull (and stunning) hues of oceanlike colours,  the air, November feels like paper and ink and thoughts while you wear sweaters and eat soup. When it's just right, November might be my favourite month after October. I'm sad October is over, but I'm trying to step into November. (Or at least trying to run into November while not tripping on a sheet)



Anyways, 
To November.


But there is always a November space after the leaves have fallen when she felt it was indecent to intrude on the woods...for their glory terrestrial and their glory celestial of spirit and purity and whiteness had not yet come upon them  -L.M. Montgomery  



2 comments:

  1. A perfectly stunning post!!! I love the spooky whimsical vibes of the photos. Such a nice farewell to October.
    To November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Same, I wasn't sure how the photos were turning out so I was really excited when I saw that they were everything I was hoping for.
      To November!

      Delete